Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Welcome Letter from Mrs. Bowers

2016/2017 Academic Year

Dear Parents and Guardians,

                  Welcome to third grade, and welcome to section 3C. My name is Kellie Bowers, and I am truly honored to be your students’ third grade teacher.  Here is some more information about me:
                  I am originally from Mission Viejo, California.  I received my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a minor in History from the University of Southern California in 2013.  While in college I spent two summers as a camp counselor in the mountains of Pennsylvania.  In college I tutored students from kindergarten-twelfth grades in all subjects and on the SAT.  In addition, I worked for a summer program called Breakthrough, which works with highly achieving underprivileged children.  That experience led me to Teach for America.
                  Teach for America is an AmeriCorps program that places teachers in underserved schools throughout the country.  I taught in Glendale, Arizona for two years in both 5th and 6th grades.  During those first two years of teaching I pursued a masters degree in Elementary Education from Arizona State University, which I completed in May of 2015.  In the summer of 2015 I moved to Gilbert and started teaching at Archway Arete. I thoroughly enjoyed my first year at Archway Arete due to the wonderful students, parents, teachers, and leadership here.  I feel very fortunate to be on the 3rd grade team at Arete and I am looking forward to working with the other third grade teachers and assistants this year, as well as our talented specials teachers.
                  When I am outside of the classroom I love to read!  Some of my favorite classics are Gone with the Wind, Pride and Prejudice, and Anne of Green Gables. In the fall, I love spending the weekends watching football games in person or on television (Fight on USC Trojans!). My husband and I love to travel to new places and to visit friends and family around the country.  This summer my husband left his job working for a chemical manufacturing company to pursue a career in education; he is now teaching Science at Lincoln Prep.  When we aren’t busy traveling or teaching, we love spending time with our adorable puppy Koda and our sweet cat Nala. 
                  Third grade is going to be a very exciting year! We will be writing in cursive from day 1 and deepening our understanding of Spalding over the course of the year.  We are also going to be using Singapore math, which helps students truly conceptualize the concepts we will be covering.  We will be doing a lot of bar modeling!  I know bar modeling can seem intimidating, but I truly believe the method helps students understand math more deeply and cultivates critical thinking skills.  In addition, it is critical that our students master their multiplication tables in third grade- something you can start working on at home right away!  For Literature, we have many engaging novels to read, starting with Little House on the Prairie.  As historians, we will begin our year with Geography.  In addition, we will cover Ancient Rome, the Vikings, Native Americans, and the Thirteen Colonies.  Finally, as scientists we will be starting off the year with a unit on the classification of animals.  We will cover many other topics including ecology, the human body, light and sound, and space.
                  I am committed to keeping communication between you and myself very open. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Email is the absolute best way to contact me.  (KBowers@archwayarete.org) I encourage you to regularly check my blog as I update it weekly with useful information about what’s happening in the classroom.  The link for my blog is: http://mrsbowersarete.blogspot.com/. I highly encourage you to sign up to follow by blog by e-mail (it can be found on the left hand side of the page).  Blogger will e-mail you every time I post.  Let me know if you have any trouble with this process and I will do my best to troubleshoot with you.
                  I am really looking forward to meeting with you all on Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday August 4th!   We look forward to seeing students with last names A-M between 5:30 and 6:30 and students with last names N-Z between 6:30 and 7:30.  Please have your child bring his or her school supplies.  If you ordered them online, the boxes have arrived to our classroom and will be waiting for you.  Nearly all of our supplies will be communal including: pencils, glue, white board markers, and all coloring supplies. Feel free to label you child’s binder and notebooks.  You are also welcome to bring in your child’s copy of Little House on the Prairie, since that is the first novel we will read. 
                  I am thrilled to have your child in my class this year.  I am looking forward to a productive year in which all of us in 3C will nurture our love of moral and intellectual virtue.  Archway Arete is a very special place and I am so grateful to have the opportunity to teach your children this year.  I look forward to working together and making the 2016-2017 school year unforgettable!

Yours in Learning,

Mrs. Kellie Bowers  


P.S.  Please see the letter below from my fabulous assistant, Mrs. Jean Geyer!

No comments:

Post a Comment